Crofton was commissioned as lead consultant by Lord Radnor to oversee the restoration of the Leas Lift in Folkestone.
Click here to see Leas Lift on Wikipedia
The project has won a number of awards:
ICE Engineering Excellence Award 2011
ACE Engineering Excellence Award 2011
The lift had been the subject of media interest after Shepway Council relinquished their longstanding stewardship of the attraction in summer 2009. Responding to overwhelming public support for the lift, Lord Radnor instigated the scheme to restore the nineteenth century listed buildings and machinery, to their former glory.
The lift is a remarkable piece of engineering that has carried over 50 million passengers since it was originally constructed in 1885 to serve the burgeoning holiday resort. By alternately filling and emptying tanks fixed beneath the two cars with water, the lift can carry fifteen passengers up and down the cliffs which separate the town centre from the beach.
Crofton originally became involved with the project in spring of 2009 undertaking detailed structural and mechanical appraisals of the lift to assist Lord Radnor in his negotiations with Shepway. We subsequently prepared designs and a full schedule of work for renovation of the complete site. With the work on site carried out by G A Harper of Dartford, Crofton maintained a role in managing the entire process to completion.
Now that the work is complete the operation of the lift will be managed by Folkestone Leas Lift Community Interest Company, a non-profit organisation who plan to develop the attraction as a “living museum” of Victorian engineering, offering an educational transport link between the town centre and the seafront.
Speaking at the official opening of the lift in July 2010 Eamonn Rooney of the Leas Lift Community Interest Company said “This is a great day for us, the people of Folkestone and the visitors who have all missed the lift over the past 12 months.”