Excellence in Engineering

Research and Development

Royal School of Mines

The Royal School of Mines (RSM) was founded by Sir Henry de la Beche in 1851. Designed by Sir Aston Webb, the building was erected between 1909 and 1913 specifically to house the organisation. RSM was the last of many buildings that Webb designed for the Albertopolis area including the Cromwell Road frontage of the V&A, and is subsequently a listed building.

Material Processing and Classification Area (MPAC)

In early 2010 Crofton undertook a feasibility study for the refurbishment of the existing Metals Processing workshop.

The MPAC is located in the lower ground & ground floor of the Goldsmith Wing.

Crofton, along with other framework consultants and contractors developed a design which converted single double height metals lab into two “state of the art” lecture theatres, three chemical analysis laboratories and a materials processing lab.

As part of the architectural design, the lecture theatres retained the listed material crane mechanism and fabric. In order to compliment the architectural design, the lecture theatres were fitted with chilled beams, interactive teaching/audio visual equipment and intelligent lighting.

The chemical laboratories had a high specification and as part of the services design, were fitted with a full fresh air system, fume cupboard, process cooling water & gas system along with a vacuum and foul extract air systems.

The materials processing lab services installation has been designed to allow complete flexibility for location of equipment. In addition, critical system such as the vacuum hot press and furnace has been fitted with a back/process water change over system.